The Athena Film Festival is searching for a full-time Operations Manager. If you would like to apply, read the job description below and apply through the link at the bottom. We look forward to seeing your applications!
Title: Operations Manager, Athena Film Festival
Job Function: The Athena Film Festival – a celebration of women and leadership –is a four-day festival that takes place annually in February on Barnard College’s campus in NYC. The festival is a joint project of the Athena Center for Leadership Studies and Women and Hollywood. The festival includes 35-40 film screenings, an awards gala, Q and A sessions, workshops, masterclasses, and multiple receptions. Approximately 5,000 people attend the festival.
The Operations Manager is an integral member of the Athena Center staff and is in charge of all operations and logistics for the Athena Film Festival. The position reports directly to the Director of the Athena Center and works closely with the Festival’s Artistic Director. The position also works closely with other Barnard departments, including: events management, development, facilities, and communications as well as a wide range of consultants specially hired to provide services for the festival.
- Manage all long term and day-to-day operations of the Athena Film Festival;
- Research funding and grant opportunities. Handle the grant-writing process alongside Barnard’s development team. Manage and maintain database of current and potential donors. Work closely with Executive and Artistic Directors in the initial outreach, correspondence with, and follow-up of all donors;
- Establish and maintain Athena Film Festival budget, all financial paperwork, and other administrative tasks related to the payment of invoices, stipends, and contributions. This will be done in accordance to Barnard’s regulations and procedures;
- Serve as liaison between the Artistic Director and filmmakers. Track all incoming materials from filmmakers including contracts, stipend requests, films, and contact information;
- Monitor and coordinate Film Festival timelines and schedules throughout the year, and especially during the Festival itself;
- Create Show Flow for the Festival weekend – including all staff duties, film locations, room changes, and reservations as well as the delivery of furniture rental and catering and implement it with the assistance of Barnard and contracted staff during the week of the festival;
- Work closely with public relation personnel, Barnard’s communications office, designers, and printers in creating and editing all written and online promotional material, including the Film Festival program, postcards, flyers, posters, banners, etc.
- Coordinate the production and distribution of all promotional materials and awards;
- Supervise the maintenance of both the Athena Film Festival website as well as the International Women’s Film Festival Network site, social media networks, as well as all other e-communication efforts , e-blasts and social media posts;
- Assist with the interviewing and hiring of all film festival staff, including: student interns, Outreach, Volunteer, and Hospitality Coordinators; Technical Director and staff, DJ’s, musicians; decorators, caterers, and stage manager. Supervise student intern work and schedule.
- Assist the volunteer coordinator with the recruitment and training of volunteers;
- Work closely with Athena Center staff to insure synergy between the Film Festival and other Center projects and events;
- Evaluate and assess all aspects of the Film Festival, including audience experience, logistics, and films. Create an assessment survey for both volunteers and guests and produce report;
- Maintain and grow the Festival’s database of contacts and mailing lists;
- Participate in the expansion of the Athena Film Festival brand as opportunities develop.
- May be asked to attend other Film Festivals or film screenings in or around NYC.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in media, journalism, publishing, the arts, or related field
- 4-5 years of increasingly responsible professional and operational experience within a film festival or large public events
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
- Excellent organizational, office management, interpersonal skills with an ability to meet deadlines;
- Excellent oral, written, and communication skills: including the ability to write, proof-read, and edit documents;
- Demonstrated ability and knowledge of website maintenance (especially wordpress), online newsletters, and all social media platforms;
- Budgeting skills and advanced Microsoft Office Suite skills required;
- Demonstrated success dealing with the public with tact, courtesy, and good judgment;
- A willingness to take on new tasks, to think creatively, contribute ideas, and be an integral part of the Athena Center as a whole;
- Ability to work outside of normal business hours as necessary
Barnard College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Barnard does not discriminate due to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis, and to the extent permitted by law. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.