The Athena Film Festival at Barnard College celebrates extraordinary films from across the globe that tell the stories of fierce and fearless women leaders. The curated program includes Academy Award nominated films, award winning features and documentaries, NY premieres, shorts and so much more.
An Athena film is one of defiance, survival, breakthrough, and radical joy that comes from living as yourself. There are many ways to be a leader and there are even more ways to be a leader as a woman. Leadership was defined and continues to be defined by men. Athena Films challenge that narrative and show how women work in and outside of this traditional definition to change what leadership looks like.
Now in its 13th year, the festival is a project of the Athena Center for Leadership at Barnard College and Women and Hollywood.
The Artemis Rising Foundation and its CEO Regina K. Scully is the festival’s founding sponsor.
The 13th Annual Festival will take place March 2-5, 2023.
Submissions are open from June 1, 2022, to August 15, 2022.
Guidelines and Requirements:
- Films must have a woman (girl) or women character(s) in leadership role(s) or position(s). Projects from all genres are accepted, and stories about women from all racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and cultural groups;
- Filmmakers of all genders are welcome to apply;
- Only short films can be submitted (30 minutes or less in length);
- Non-English films must be subtitled;
- Films that don’t focus on women’s leadership WILL NOT be considered;
- Premiere status is not required;
Please note: We charge a $14.00 submission fee. Submission fees are non-refundable.
In recognition of the extra barriers BIWOC artists face in the film industry, we are offering submission fee waivers to films written, directed, or produced by BIWOC artists.
We are also offering submission fee waivers to films that have suffered financially due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you have a feature-length film that you would like to submit to the festival, please email Athenafilmfestival@gmail.com with the title of your film, a full synopsis, and how it fits our criteria.