The 2020 festival will accept submissions for short films from May 1 – August 1, 2019.
The Athena Film Festival is a four-day celebration featuring extraordinary films from across the globe that tell the stories of fierce and fearless women leaders. The curated program includes Academy Award-nominated films, top-tier features, documentaries, and shorts — including U.S. and world premieres. Screenings are complemented by panels and conversations designed to change the way our culture views and values women, along with workshops and masterclasses that help women storytellers hone their craft.
Now in its 10th year, the festival is a project of the Athena Center for Leadership Studies at Barnard College and Women and Hollywood, a leading voice for women in the entertainment industry. The Artemis Rising Foundation and its CEO Regina K. Scully is the festival’s founding sponsor. The 10th Anniversary Festival will be held February 26-March 1, 2020 at Barnard College in New York City.
- Films can be from any genre (documentary, animation, experimental, etc.)
- Short films (under 40 minutes in length)
- Films must feature a woman leader or leaders as the central character(s),
Requirements and Criteria
- ALL FILMS must feature a woman in a leadership position at the center of the story
- Films may be directed by a person or people of any gender or identity.
- Films directed by women but not focusing on female leadership WILL NOT be considered.
- Non-English films must be subtitled.
Please note: Fees are non-refundable.
If you have a feature-length film that you would like to submit to the festival, please email Athenafilmfestival@gmail.com with the title of your film, full synopses, and how it fits our criteria.