Submissions Are Now Open!
The Athena List is an annual feature-length script competition that selects exceptional scripts featuring women leaders at the heart of the story. As the signature program of the Athena Film Festival’s Creative Development program, The Athena List’s goal is to raise the profile of the winning scripts and writers within the industry, with the purpose of getting these movies made and elevating the writers’ careers to the next level.
We have extended our regular deadline. Submissions for the 2024 Athena List are now open until October 31, 2023.
- Scripts must have a woman (girl) or women character(s) in leadership role(s) or position(s). Projects from all genres are accepted, and stories about women from all racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and cultural groups are encouraged;
- Scripts must be feature-length (we do not accept shorts or television scripts)
- Scripts must be in advanced development. DO NOT SUBMIT A FIRST DRAFT
- Projects submitted MUST have taken part in a writer’s lab or intensive, or actively be working with industry members (such as a manager, agent, executive, and/or producer) on their project.
- Scripts based on existing material will be considered, as long as the writer(s) have secured the underlying rights to the source material;
- Screenplays that are fully financed and in pre-production are not eligible. They can be optioned and have producers and/or talent attached;
- Screenplays previously submitted and considered for the Athena List are not eligible;
- Scripts must be written in English and between 80 and 120 pages;
- Entries lacking a logline on the application form will be disqualified;
There is no SUBMISSION FEE;
Our submission process is two-tiered: we first review the synopsis of your script to see if it fits the criteria above; if it does, it will then be read in full. If your script does not fit the criteria it WILL NOT be considered.
The Athena Film Festival encourages applications from people of all races, religions, national origins, sexual orientations, gender identities, gender expressions, and ages, as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities. We strongly encourage you to apply if you are from a marginalized or underrepresented group, particularly in the film industry.